Step-by-step description of how to control lights in your smart home with a wall switch. This post includes information on the equipment, steps, and set-up needed to accomplish this outcome.
This recipe outlines the steps to control lights that are connected to a single switch. It provides the steps to accomplish the control via voice commands to your smart speaker.
Here’s the recipe:
- Smart home hub – I recommend that you skip using WiFi switches, and jump right to setting up a smart home hub so that you can use switches that support Zigbee and Z-Wave. This will set you up for more smart home devices in the future. The hub will also come with an app that you can use to control your smart home from your phone.
- Smart speaker – The smart speaker will be a key I/O (inout / output) for controlling your switch. The Echo smart speakers include access to the Alexa app for your phone, where you can control your smart switch.
- Smart wall switch – You will need a smart wall switch as the primary device for this function. Here is a solid GE single smart switch, here is a great GE Smart Dimmer Switch, and an overview of some switch options and concepts.
- How a switch works – This quick tutorial will give you a basic understanding of how a switch works, which will make wiring the smart switch a little more intuitive.
- Wiring – Wiring a single smart wall switch is not has hard as you think. Don’t let it this step dissuade you from doing the project.
- Wall cover plates – You will probably need a new wall cover plate after you install the switch. The possibilities are endless, but you can usually find what you need on Amazon. Just search for 2-gang, 3-gang, etc.
- Integration – The smart GE Smart Switch will connect to the SmartThings application on your phone. Follow the process in the SmartThings app to connect it.